Friday, April 17, 2009

Cool Products Last Night

After having Matthew it isn't often that I get to have "me" time. Last weekend I actually made it to the salon to have a pedicure, manicure and my hair done. Wow I felt like a real person - sans the baby drool on my shirt. When I had the opportunity to attend the MetroMoms Best Products: Best & Hottest Products From Pregnancy To Preschool event I jumped at the chance. I had been trying to go for more than a year now. I tried when I was pregnant - no dice. After Matthew was born - no luck. On Wednesday I got the glorious call that someone had cancelled and my name came up on the waitlist. Did I want to go - need you ask?!?!

Unlike many women there, I didn't know a soul - so step one - meet some lovely mommies to converse with and have dinner. I met 3 fabulous moms with whom we seemed to have much in common. Funny how it just happens. Step two - get a low number so I can get a great item. Every mom there draws a number and that is the order in which you get to pick your "best and hottest" product to take home (in addition to taking home a really cool gift bag).

I don't know how they do it, but the MetroMoms get more than a hundred top baby items to give away. We are talking high end strollers, new and innovative furniture options; and even a toy or two. This event really is targeted at all age ranges and I just hoped that people in front of me would have kids that were way older - or way younger - so I could get what I wanted.

I drew my number and didn't do too bad - 32. I had gone through the items in advance and had ranked all the things I wanted - about 35 of them. I was hoping for one of the big items of course. (Who wouldn't love a $250 playhouse for the backyard!) Based on Matthew's age and current stage, I also had a number of smaller items on the list - hoping that if I got a low number at least something practical would be left - dinner set; potty; swimtop. Something. I was optimistic picking number 32 I would get one of the bigger items on my list. Stroller and Playhouse not likely, but the oh so cute P'kolino's Silly Soft Seating just might be left.

As I wait in line it seems all the ladies in front of me have 1 year olds as I watch all my choice items being picked up right before I get there. When it is my turn I had to decide - a cute backpack for my son who likes bags or a cool activity toy that I had been too cheap to purchase on my own. At the advice of all the women watching the selection process, we got the...drum roll please...Laugh & Learn™ Fun With Friends™ Musical Table.




I know that Matthew will love this. We have a number of toys from the Laugh and Learn line and every one of them has been a huge hit, so I know we can't go wrong. I got home a little late last night, so while I wanted to rush into his room and say - look what mommy got you! - I had to wait until this morning. I think this is going to be a toy we have in Mommy and Daddy's room for morning entertainment while we're getting ready for work. We haven't had it 24-hours, but so far, it's a hit!

Thank you MetroMoms! Fingers crossed I can get in for another one of these Best Products Events. To all my mommy friends out there - I highly highly recommend! It was fabulous.

No comments: