Friday, June 5, 2009

Celebration time!


Do you want to know how to celebrate a birthday in style? You need to get with my grandfather. 90 years old - 10 kids - 26 grandkids - 12 great-grandkids with one one the way. Though the whole family couldn't make it, there were plenty of us to make it one heck of a party. (You can see our pictures here.)

We decided to do things a little old school and let the kids run around on the front lawn and play games. When I say old school, I mean old school. The great-grandkids got a tractor ride. We did potato races (put potato on a spoon and run w/o dropping), three-legged race, watermelon seed spitting contest, etc. The grandkids had fun running on the oil drums while the great-grandkids loved pushing them around.



It was a very relaxing and enjoyable day - one which was sad to see come to an end. Alas, we have a kiddo now and bedtime is now our indicator for how long we can stay and enjoy the party. I miss being able to stay late, play cards and catching up with everyone, but am so glad that Matthew had the chance to experience his big, crazy extended family. I love "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," because I have a "big fat German family" and can totally relate. Now, my grandfather may not spray Windex on everything, but our get togethers are large and loud and always have a ton of food and this one was no exception!

No comments: