Thursday, June 18, 2009

From the mouth of babes

Imagine my surprise when I get Matthew's daily progress sheet from school and they say that he is chatty. Chatty? Sure Matthew uses a few words now and again - he'll "oooh and ahhh" over a toy, say "bye-bye" when daddy leaves for work or sees a passing car. He may even shout "duck" if the neighborhood fowl decide to grab a snack in our neighbor's front yard. Talking sure, but chatty - I wouldn't say that necessarily. THEN, we spent the weekend together. Matthew is FULL of babytalk. He babbles away - talking to everyone and about everything. What I am finding is that he has responses that are really in context of his activities. I guess he really knows what is going on.

This past weekend we took a trip downtown to check out the CityArts Festival. It was very very hot, so we took advantage of all the museums being open and - our favorite four letter word - FREE! Matthew expored the toddler room in the Dallas Museum of Art and even got to hang his texture rubbing on the wall. (Daddy is so proud to say Matthew had his art handing in the DMA. :) )

After the DMA, we checked out the Trammel Crow Asian Art museum. We rounded one corner to see a jade statue and Matthew's response was "Oh Wow!" He was mezmorized by the statue. I wonder if he realized what he just communicated. My favorite expression for the weekend wasn't the expression itself, but the context. While downtown we went to mass at the Cathedral. I don't know if it was the fact that it was someplace new, or he was really getting into the service, but he punctuated every activity with a "Yea" and clapping his hands. After every song, every reading - the homily too. I don't know if it was a "yea - thank goodness this is over," or a "yea, being in church rocks!" type of response. I guess we'll see as he grows older. For now we'll welcome the enthusiasm.

No comments: